If you need more room in your house, a garage addition may be worth considering. Garages are often thought of as boxes for cars and mowers, but a well-designed garage can actually serve many important household functions.
Once you consider all of the benefits a garage addition can provide, you may wonder why it took you so long to move ahead with the project. Here are just some of the reasons you might want a new garage:
- Car storage - The ability to jump in a clean, dry car without having to scrape ice off the windows or endure sun-baked seats is a major advantage to having a garage addition.
- Household storage - Garages are great storage spaces. Even with cars, mowers, bikes and other items taking up floor space, you can still create an enormous amount of additional storage on the walls (see Before You Buy a Garage Wall System) and ceilings (see Before You Buy an Overhead Garage Ceiling Storage System). See also: Before You Buy Garage Cabinets.
- Car maintenance - Whether you are the type of car junkie who can happily spend entire days rebuilding an engine or a weekend warrior who likes to change the oil yourself, a garage addition will make your life much easier.
- Workshop - Thinking about taking up woodworking, gardening or some other craft? A garage addition will provide the room you need to work and a safe, secure place to keep your tools and equipment.
- Playroom - A garage can easily be turned into a great playroom. It is big enough to set up a ping-pong table, for example, even if only temporarily. A garage is also perfect for birthday parties and other (messy) celebrations. See Childproofing Your Garage.